What to do if you have found a dog
If you have found a stray dog you must by law report it to your local council dog warden, here is a full list of the council contact numbers in Somerset:
- Taunton Deane Dog Warden (Somerset Dog Warden Service); 01823 356550
- South Somerset Dog Warden (Council’s own dog warden); 01935 462 462
- Mendip Council Dog Warden (SDK Environmental Services); 08444 828 346
- West Somerset Dog Warden (Somerset Dog Warden Service); 01643 703704
- Sedgemoor District Dog Warden (Council’s own dog warden); 0845 4082540
Please make sure that firstly the dog you have found hasn’t got an owner looking for it. If the dog is wearing an ID tag please try to contact the owners and ask for them to come and collect it.
The Dog Warden will be able to scan the dog for a microchip and on the first occasion hopefully be able to return it to the owner, on following occasions or when the owners cannot be contacted immediately, the dog will be taken to a holding kennels.
The dog will remain at the kennels for seven clear days, from where the owner can reclaim it, after this time the dog will be put up for re-homing.